Spring is finally here and although the whispers of "snow" are still around we still need to spring clean our cabinets and makeup bags! There are some cosmetics that will last several years. Mineral makeup such as, Mirabella, will stay good for 2-3 years before you need to discard. Here is a list of some cosmetic items you will need to discard for your overall health and also your skin's health.
- Cream, liquid, stick foundation, and/or concealer: These items need to discarded between 6 months- 1 year. Liquid face makeup after time tends to separate, leaving you skin streaky and with an inconsistent finish. After time, oil will rise to the top and guess what... that oil is being put on your face!
- Mascara: Mascara needs to be discarded every 3 months. Reason being, that after the 3 month mark, mascara becomes dried out and is a breeding ground of staph bacteria! Using mascara that is 3 months old or older increases your risk of eye infections.
- Makeup sponges: Your makeup sponges should be washed daily, but lets be realistic...most of us don't have the time to do that. In turn, what happens is our sponges become loaded with bacteria that we constantly spread back on our faces each morning. Makeup sponges, should and need to be discarded frequently!
Here is some good news! Some cosmetic items will stay vibrant and good for several years! Here is a list of the cosmetics you can leave in your cabinet!
- Lipstick and Lip Liners: Lipstick and lip liners stay vibrant and good for 2+ years! To increase the longevity of your favorite lip liner, sharpening it with a pencil sharpener removes the surface that can dry out over time. As a reminder, your lipstick is still water based and can be grounds for bacterial growth. Keep your lid on tight!
- Powder Eye Shadows: Powder Eye Shadows can stay good for 2 years! Reason? They lack in water! To keep the longevity going, make sure you frequently wash your applicators/ brushes to prevent the spreading of bacteria!
Happy Spring Cleaning!